Friday, September 2, 2016

Eating Right....Living Well....Healing



This is a topic that often comes with controversy on what exactly is the best diet for those dealing with a chronic illness. I am not a nutritionist, but have personally seen the positive effects of eating a strict diet after a diagnosis of an illness. Even my doctors have asked me to list the things I am eating/doing so they could note their observations.

What surprised me after my diagnosis is that I was assigned a nutritionist through my health system.  But that wasn't what I questioned.  It was the fact that she took no more than three minutes of my time to ask if I was eating fruits and vegetables and gave me the "Oh good" thumbs up sign and left to go on to the next patient.  I sat there listening to the same question being asked of each of us in the room. But I couldn't help but wonder if eating fruit was actually a wise decision for people with a chronic illness.

I researched and learned on my own that for people with an autoimmune illness, cancer, diabetes, etc. fruits are not necessarily a "good" food to put on your list.  The reason being is that fruit contains natural sugar that can act in our bodies the same way refined sugar does.

The research shows that sugar is a catalyst to inflammation in the body and this in turn can basically feed sick cells, causing illness to possibly grow further. In other words, the body does not necessarily benefit from eating fruit IF a person is already dealing with an illness.

Imagine my surprise when one day a friend picked up a "SuperFoods" juice bottle in the market for me that had a photo of all kinds of greens on it...kale, celery, grapes and green apples.....and there were 53 grams of sugar in it!  We just assume that because it is called Superfood, it has to be good for us.  But not for ALL of us.

So as a new start today, if you aren't doing it already, read labels on everything you are eating.  And although it may be tough at first, purchase as many food products (no fruit please) that are organic and have no sugar/very little sugar added.

Yes, that does mean desserts too.  Okay, I know, not an easy task, but you will be amazed within a few weeks of doing this that your body no longer craves the sugar.  (and don't go for the sugarless products....the substitutes are not good for anyone)

This is the first of some of my posts on food and eating for healing.  One link that I would like to share with you is https://foodrevolution.org/  Their message is a strong one and I believe you will enjoy perusing the website to learn more.

Happy, healthy and clean eating to you and your families!

Colleen :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment