Saturday, November 18, 2017

What doctors need to know...





After discussing recent doctor appointments with a various group of patients, I feel compelled to share their comments:

1.  Please allow me to participate in decisions made about my care, or at least ask me how I feel about what you are suggesting.

2.  I know you are truly overwhelmed with your work, but so am I with my health at times. So take the extra minutes to sit and look directly into my eyes.  They may show you more of my feelings than the words I am expressing and I need to know you are listening.

3.  I live with myself all the time. I know what hurts and what makes me feel better.  Discuss these so we can find more ways together for my healing and comfort.

4.  Whatever you can do to see that I don't have to wait extra time for other medical referrals, please let me know so I can assist in expediting that.

4.  If I have consulted with other medical staff outside of yours, take it as a gift to adding to your knowledge for hundreds of patients ahead of me.  Research it and let me know next time how much you appreciate me sharing this info, or discuss your opinions of what has been shared.

5.  When I have called you and/or emailed you to let you know I have concerns or am worried about medical information I have received, please do not email me.  Call me and let me know I have your support and can hear your voice. My anxiety will be growing throughout the day and evening until we can talk, so please don't hesitate to call me any time of the day or night.

6.  Connect with me in whatever ways you can.  We are in this together and you are part of my team. Caring and kindness can make miracles.

Please email me with any other suggestions you may have and I will see to add them in a later blog post.

Hugs,

Colleen :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment